Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The End of Maternity Leave

My 'childcare leave' offically ended yesterday. Although I won't be going back to work until September, as a teacher, I will always have this time off with my daughter.  As I said this to my friend this morning, her response was, "Remember that most people get less time off then the time you still have left."
And this got me thinking about some things:

First, why is it okay that we only get 6 weeks maternity leave - I remember my first 6 weeks home, and you know what, I was a MESS! I have a lot of respect for people who go back to work after those 6 weeks, because I seriously don't think I was emotionally able to do much of anything at that point.  And in my job, those 6 weeks aren't even paid, I had to use whatever sick days I had in my bank  and borrow a few more- which actually means I'll be going back to work with negative days.  I'm sure that'll be great when I have a toddler who's sure to get sick at daycare in the fall...but whatever!

Second, it made me realize how fortunate I was to be able to stay home this long with my baby.  Not that it was easy, financially or emotionally, but we made lots of sacrifices because we thought it was important that I be home with her.  But the sacrifices have been worth it. 

And I'm going to do my best to make the next 8 weeks amazing for Jenna!


Please take a second and click here to vote for my blog on Top Mommy Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment