Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Curating our Kids

I came across this term the other day about how we are 'curators' of our children. And it gave me a good laugh.  Because I often walk through stores looking at kids clothes and say, "This is so Jenna" or "That's not really Alex's style." But my kids are 4 years old and 16 months...they don't have a style just yet.  {I mean, Jenna certainly has opinions, but she still has to choose from the clothes that I buy for her}

It's funny to me how little I care about what I wear on a day to day basis compared to the thought I put into what my kids wear.  Me? I'm a jeans and t-shirt girl, always have been.  These days, it's more like yoga pants and a tee. And my hair? 99.9% of the time, it's in some sort of ponytail contraption.  

Now Jenna...she's a girly-girl with a tomboy twist.  Loves her dresses but always wears comfortable shoes so she can run "super fast." If she's not in a dress, then it's leggings and a shirt, RARELY will she wear jeans.  Her hair is always 'done' - My pet peeve is messy hair on little girls. And I have been know to have fights  discussions with Mike over her outfits, when he picks something out that I don't like.  
'Typical' outfits for my kids

Alex? I dress him like Mike.  Usually sweats and a t-shirt. He's in jeans occasionally, but he's not so comfortable in them (or at least I don't think he is). When he needs to be 'fancy' it's usually a polo or a button down.  He wears sneakers everyday and I wouldn't put him in anything else. I guess he could "rock" any style I choose, but this is the one I choose for him.  

For now, I like that my kids are letting me "curate" them.  I feel like how they look is more of a reflection on me than how I myself am dressed.  If you want to know my style, look at them, definitely don't look at me. 


1 comment: