Friday, October 29, 2010

Playdates After Hours

In college, the parties that happened after the bars closed and after the "regular" parties were called After Hours.  I think I may have majored in After Hours in college...but that's a story for another time.

These days I'm in a very weird place.  I'm now a 'working mom'.  Going back to work had me really nervous about how I would keep in touch with all my mom-friends (who aren't just mom-friends anymore, but just friends).  But here was the unexpected surprise, I still get to see my Stay at Home Mom friends (most of them are still at home, at least part time). And I guess I have the kids to thank for that.

In the early days of being home, the kiddies were all napping twice a day - morning and afternoon, so our playdates were usually lunch dates.  And they were great, we got to sit and chit chat and eat lunch while the kids played around us.  This was before they were all walking  running around.  When we could actually sit and chill and lament about parenthood and our sex lives.  Then the playdates kind of went away. The kids were all napping at different times, our classes were scattered, and it was hard to find a day and time that worked for us. And now, they seem to be back in action, and I couldn't be happier about it.  First of all, they're happening after the kids' naptimes which is usually anywhere from 12-3.  So the playdates are around 3:30/4:00 which mean my school teacher self gets to make it to them!

And now, they've gotten easier - the kids play with the toys and each other (as much as toddlers do) and except for the occassional "fight" over a toy, we get to hang out and chat about our kids, our husbands, and all the other crap going on in our lives. 
I'm feeling lucky.  Lucky to have met a group of women who love my kid.  A group of women who still include me even though I'm a "working mom" now.  A group of women who ask me how school is when I show up at the play date.  A group of women who have been with me through a whole lot of sh**. 

It's nice to be back in the playdate circle.

Now I just have to figure out how to get my act together and host one....hmmm maybe Veteran's Day or some other day when I have off....

1 comment:

  1. love it!!!! yeah i know the nap thing does throw off hte playdates, and being able to meet up later in the day is great so we get to see you too. maybe we will catch up on sunday!!

    ReplyDelete