Friday, May 1, 2009

We've all been there

So now that I'm sitting alone on a park bench crying to my husband...I start thinking to myself - what the hell is wrong with me? I am successful, I am married, I have a beautiful daughter...and I'm sitting here feeling bad about myself. Who knows if I even want to be friends with these other mommies. But the truth is - I do want to be their friend. I want to talk to people about all my worries and concerns and all the things I'm having trouble with. I want to talk to people who have been through it or are going through it now. I want to have friends who want to hear about her first doctor's appointment.
I finally pull myself together and I look around and I think I recognize a girl who is a friend of a friend. I literally sat there for 10 minutes gathering up the courage to go over and talk to her. I know it sounds ridiculous but that's what I had to do.
So I take the stroller and as casually as I could I walk over to Sarah and say hi. She was so excited to see me..."Oh my god - I heard you had the baby! How are you doing? How are you feeling?" (I was so happy - someone who wanted to hear about me and how I was doing) She went on to introduce me to a bunch of other mommies. They all said the same thing - we remember how hard it was that first day to meet people - we've all been there before. I started to feel better...started to feel like okay I am not alone in feeling this way...I'm not the only one out here trying to make friends...
I also made a promise to myself - When I see a brand new mommy walk into the park with her infant stroller - I'm going to be the mommy who goes up to her and says "hi - we've all been there"
That's all I needed to hear...we've all been there...

No comments:

Post a Comment