Monday, June 24, 2013

Summertime Guilt

Jenna has been in daycare since she was 18 months old.  That means that for the last 3 summers we have paid for daycare to hold her spot even though I don't work in the summer (and for the last two I've been home on maternity leave with Alex).  
I have never wasted more money in my life than on those months that we paid for daycare.  
See...I have this thing called summertime guilt.  
I cannot sit outside on a beautiful day and play in the pool and not think about how much fun Jenna (or Alex for that matter) would have if she was there with me.  

This started in the summer of 2011 - I was pregnant with Alex and despite how tired I was or how much I needed the break, I ended up picking Jenna up at 11 am from daycare just about everyday and taking her to the pool club that we belong to.  The following summer, with Alex being only 6 months old, I still picked her up almost daily to enjoy the pool club.  I just  couldn't stand the fact that even though they go outside a lot at her daycare, it just wasn't enough for me.  I wanted her to have that outdoor summer experience.  Running around all day outside and in the pool so much so that by the end of the day, she can't keep her eyes open.  That's summer to me. And I have to say, she's turned into a pretty proficient swimmer for a 4 year old because of all the pool time she gets. 

This summer, we got smart. She's going to day camp.  It's actually located at our pool and she knows a bunch of the kids already and I know she's going to be outside all day everyday and doing all sorts of camp activities and just being a kid.  
Loving our chipwiches! (sp?)

Guess we have to buy three!!
So no relaxing days at the pool or beach sans kids for me this summer...but I wouldn't have it any other way {that is until I ship them both off to sleepaway camp!}
What summer rides home should look like!


1 comment:

  1. Nice read. The last picture is priceless. I bet Mike is in the front sleeping. lol.

    ReplyDelete