Thursday, July 29, 2010

Burn Baby Burn

Summer in New York has been H-O-T.
I am one of those people who obsesses over sunsreen.  Not just because I'm a mom.  I've been crazy over sunscreen for years because I had the burn of all burns
the burn that scarred me
the burn that caused blisters
the burn that didn't heal for months

....and it was on my BOOBS.
 
I once was a carefree teenager working at camp wearing cute little bikinis with my cute little body and not wearing sunscreen. 
All it took was one day.
One day of wearing a skimpier bathing suit than normal.
One day where the sun was blazing. 
One day of sitting by the pool, watching my campers swim. 
One freaking hot day.

The burn came on kind of slow.
First it was red
Then came the blisters
Next came the scabs - really attractive to have scabby boobs when you're 16 years old.

There was not enough aloe in the world to make this burn go away.  I wore bathing suits that covered the hurt area for the rest of the summer.  And if my memory holds, it took until September for it to totally heal. 
I have scars now, small ones, but scars nonetheless.
I do not leave the house without sunscreen on.  It is in my moisturizer/makeup even in the winter months and during the summer I bathe in the stuff.


This post was written as part of Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop
Mama's Losin' It

7 comments:

  1. that is crazy... I never wear sunscreen. only in the Caribbean, and I think even this year in PR I wasnt out for long enough stretches to put it on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ouch! I hurt just reading this. I am a sunscreen fanatic now too. We had a pool growing up and would use baby oil and iodine. OMG! Now I use 100spf thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must of hurt so...bad! I remember using a piece of aluminum foil on a piece of cardboard to reflect the sun on my face! (Naughty) Like you I wear 70+ everyday, winter or summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh. Wow, painful! I blistered on my boobs too from the burn I got! :( Soo painful. Now, I'm like you, and slather sunscreen on or stay out of the sun.
    Stopped in from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch, that sounds horrible! Hope you're feeling a bit better!

    New follower here, I love your blog. You tell it like it is :) Come by and visit me at Surviving Motherhood if you get the chance.

    http://thelifeofatiredmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. [color=#000000]Nice post! thank you for sharing this information. newmommyathome.blogspot.com really got under my
    [/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#000000]bookmarked... Keep up the great site...[/color]

    ReplyDelete