Wednesday, August 4, 2010

She's pretty, isn't she?

Oh Gisele...you look so pretty in your Victoria's Secret catalogs and walking the runways.  But seriously, I think you should keep looking pretty and stop talking.
Sorry to be harsh, but after Gisele's lovely comments to Harper's Bazaar UK about how there should be a breastfeeding law...I'm pretty much done with her. She did go on to ::ahem:: clarify her comments on her blog, but at the end of the day you said what you said.

Anyone who knows me well, knows my feelings toward breastfeeding...I've written a lot about my personal experiences here. I get it, it's supposed to be best for the baby.  And maybe it is.  But there's a part of me that has yet to see the proof in that.. I have seen no difference in the intelligence, allergies, or immune systerms in the kids that have been breastfed and those that have been formula-fed.  And I'm pretty sure that if I lined all of Jenna's little toddler friends up in a row, not one person could tell who was breastfed and who was formula fed.  You could even hang out with them for days and never know what their parents fed them when they were little.  You could even go so far as to see their medical records, and I don't think you would see a difference.

We have to stop guilting mothers into doing something that may or may not work for them.  I stand by my choice to formula feed my daughter wholeheartedly.  It made me a happier mommy and Jenna a happier baby.  It gave my husband (and many other family members) a chance to bond with her instantly. It gave me a chance to get a break, knowing that someone else could feed her.  It gave me a chance to sleep a little later in the morning because Mike was capable of taking care of her needs.  To say, as Gisele did, that moms should breastfeed for 6 months, when for many families that's not even an option, especially with many women going back to work after 6 weeks.

Now, here's the thing with me, I tried to do it. I read all the articles that said it's best.  And what mom doesn't want to do what's best for their kid?!? But I think every mom...every parent has to do what works for them.  And I think only you and your family can make that decision. 

So Gisele, mind your business. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Amen! Mommy was devastated when it became clear that breastfeeding was physically impossible for use (read: not "inconvenient," not "difficult," impossible) - and she doesn't need Gisele (or anyone else!) making her feel worse about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously! it helps when you have $$$ to have a baby nurse and all that jazz. I BF and I think that is a ludicrious statement!!!!!! BF'ing is freaking hard and we no longer live with extended family to help nor do people get enough time off work to do it.

    plus C is just as healthy, happy etc as all the other kids who had formula or breastfeeding. she stupid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I am a new follower of your blog! Please subscribe back and check out my 6 current giveaways! Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    http://couponclippingnutritionist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete